Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day and a Recipe

Labor day 4 years ago, we moved to the USA from England. I had never been to California only my husband had, and with my 2,5 year old son, we moved to a place I didn't know. We stayed in a furnished apartment until our furniture arrived that was being shipped from England. I had started to look for a house for us to rent and a realtor,  Amanda had showed me around a few places. She was friends with the wife of a colleague of my husband, and she was part of the Moms club. On the second day after I arrived the phone rang in our apartment my husband picked up the phone and said it was for me, it was strange because I didn't know anybody here yet, it was Zen (I didn't know it yet but she was to become my very good friend) she invited me to come walking with some ladies the next day and then go the the park afterward.  Oh boy how my life has changed in 4 years!
Happy Labor day! Hope even if you are a busy mom you too can get a chance to enjoy a break from "work".

With labor day comes the changing of the seasons, summer is on its way out and autumn/fall is on its way in, well here in Orange county you don't seem to notice the seasons as much because most of the time it is quite pleasant weather. But if you are feeling the chill in the air you might want to try this great recipe I found in a magazine, it is dairy free, gluten free, egg free, and it tastes great and it reminds me of when I was little we used to love rice pudding, yum! enjoy!



Brown rice pudding

1 1/2 cups organic coconut milk
3 1/2 Tbs honey ( you can use Agarve nectar instead or even leave it out it )
1 Tbs arrowroot powder
2 cups cooked short-grain brown rice ( I find using 1 cup uncooked rice makes what you need)
3 Tbs organic raisins
2 Tsp gluten free vanilla extract or vanilla flavor
Ground cinnamon for sprinkling


  1. Heat coconut milk and honey in saucepan over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble. Whisk in arrowroot. Add rice and raisins and simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
  2. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Spoon into an oven proof bowl and sprinkle cinnamon generously over the top put in oven temperature 380 F for about 15 minutes.
  3. Take out of oven cool slightly and serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment