Thursday, October 21, 2010

Great recipe to boost your childs health

So I have recently been trying to feed Annabelle better food, we have already changed most of her food to being organic, but I really wanted to add more raw fruits and vegetables in her diet. I was not sure of this because of all her swallowing, chewing difficulties, how would she be able to crunch into a raw carrot or chew on some lettuce? Well a doctor (DO) that we see regularly suggested this recipe but I have tweaked it a bit and I think it is delicious.
I call it "Rootslaw" because its like coleslaw with out the cabbage and with out the mayo well may be its not like coleslaw at all! oh well here it goes:





These are the raw fruit/vegetables you want to peel and grate - turnip, carrot, beetroot, and apple - I grate mine fine because then Annabelle can swallow it easier. You can add other root veg that you think might go well I think I am going to try some radish in my next batch to give it a bit of a kick.






Then squeeze some lemon juice, and some extra virgin olive oil into your grated veg/fruit then mix, your mixture will become bright pink from the beetroot like this.





Add sea salt to taste. Note I have not included quantities but most salads shouldn't have quantities.
Serve as a side to your lunch. 
Note I have added pictures of the fruit/veg just in case you have never heard of them before and it will be easier to pick them out in the grocery store lol.

1 comment:

  1. I love it Sandi! In the past couple of months we have moved to an all organic diet. My kids enjoy the trip to Whole Foods and seem more interested in trying things. Not to mention I feel better about what we are eating :)

    ReplyDelete